What is it?
The Atkins diet focuses on very low carbohydrates, moderate fat and high protein. Because of the lack of carbohydrates, it is believed that the body will begin to burn stored fat for fuel rather than carbs.
This diet focuses on eating whole, nutrient-dense foods rather than high carb, processed foods. Another aspect when following the Atkins diet is that calories do not need to be calculated but rather just limiting carb intake, meaning you can eat the same amount of food but instead in the form of protein and fat.
- May assist in weight loss relatively quickly
- May be a beneficial long-term weight loss plan
- May reduce hunger levels due to higher levels of fat
- May be difficult to maintain when eating out at restaurants
- Low carbohydrates may lead to mood swings
- Must count carbohydrates every time you eat
Try out the Atkins diet with the below recipes from Atkins.com.