What is it?
A low-fat diet consists of moderate to high carbohydrates, moderate protein and low fat. This diet consists of lean meats, beans, grains, fruits, vegetables and products considered low in fat, such as low-fat dairy. This diet can be relatively high in fiber, depending on the amount of nutrient-dense foods eaten.
A low-fat diet has often been used as a form of treatment to help minimize the occurrence of health conditions, such as obesity and heart disease. Eating a diet containing fat helps to provide satiety, so limiting fat intake to an extreme may be counterproductive.
- May assist in weight loss due to fewer total calories consumed.
- May help lower cholesterol levels.
- May help reduce the risk obesity and heart disease.
- May feel hungry after eating due to low levels of fat.
- May lead to a diet higher in carbohydrates.
- Limits your ability to eat out at restaurants.
Try out the low-fat diet with the below recipes from Taste of Home.