What is it?
The paleo diet takes us back to the Paleolithic era in an attempt to eat how cavemen would have eaten through hunting and gathering. This diet focuses on whole foods including lean meats, fish, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables.
Because this diet focuses so heavily on food available during the Paleolithic era, certain foods are not allowed when following this diet: legumes, dairy and grains. The main purpose of this diet is to take us back to how our ancestors used to eat, which is believed to be the “correct” way to eat, before farming and processed foods were readily available.
Due to the nature of the whole foods included in this diet, this can be a beneficial approach to cleaning up your diet.
- May assist in weight loss.
- Beneficial for individuals with dietary intolerances as it is gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free.
- Allowed foods are relatively high in fiber.
- Relatively low in carbs due to the limitation of gluten and grains.
- Not convenient to follow when surrounded with modern-day foods.
- Highly processed foods should be avoided.
Try out the paleo diet with the below recipes from Paleo Leap.