The Pancreaticobiliary Center treats complex pancreatic and biliary disorders including acute gallstone pancreatitis, acute alcoholic pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis of various causes, complications of acute and chronic pancreatitis, and complex cases of pancreatic cysts.
Our multidisciplinary team of specialists includes gastroenterologists, surgeons, interventional radiologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, transplant surgeons, and pathologists. We also provide genetic counseling and nurse navigators to help you manage your care. At our monthly tumor board our multidisciplinary specialists discuss complex cases that guide patient treatment.
The Pancreaticobiliary Center works closely with our Interventional Endoscopy Services. This department is a regional leader in the management and treatment of acute pancreatitis. In addition to endoscopic management of various obstructive gallstones in the common bile ducts, our providers also manage pancreatic duct leaks, pancreatitis secondary to pancreas divisum, pancreatic duct strictures, pancreatic pseudocysts, pancreatic walled-off necrosis (WON), extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL) for treatment for large pancreatic duct stones, and endoscopy ultrasound guided (EUS), pancreatic necrosectomy and placement of AXIOSTM stents for cystogastrostomy.
The ESWL program is the only one in Arizona run by highly trained interventional endoscopists and one of only three centers in the southwestern United States.
Other services performed in this center include:
- Cholangioscopy & pancreatoscopy (SPY DS and direct cholangioscopy)
- Double balloon enteroscopy assisted ERCP combine with Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) in altered surgical anatomy (gastric by-pass, Whipple disease, Billroth)
- Electrohydraulic lithotripsy (EHL) for large bile duct stones
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) in altered surgical anatomy (gastric by-pass, Whipple disease, Billroth)
- Expert endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-- diagnostic or therapeutic
- Expert ERCP including manometry for Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD) or failed prior attempts at ERCP
- Radiofrequency ablation for inoperable pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors
The Center of Excellence is divided into three sub-centers focused on providing excellent patient care for our patients.
- Cholangiobiliary - Our experts treat obstructive gallstones in the common bile duct, common hepatic duct and cystic duct.
- Pancreaticobiliary – Our experts treat conditions related to obstructive gallstones in the distal common bile duct and pancreatic duct, neoplasms (growths) in the ampulla and head of the pancreas, neoplasms in the body and tail of the pancreas (benign or malignant growths), and pancreatitis secondary to gallstones, alcohol and other causes.
- Pancreatitis – Our experts treat acute and chronic inflammation of the pancreas that may be caused by a variety of factors.