Colon cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in the United States.
Most colon cancers (about 70 percent) develop in the first six feet of the large intestine. The other 30 percent occur in the last 10 inches of the large intestine before the anus (rectum). Collectively they are referred to as colorectal cancers.
At Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center, colorectal cancer is treated with a multidisciplinary approach in which a team of experts including medical oncologists, surgeons and radiation oncologists work together to develop an individual treatment plan based on each patient’s unique needs.
Learn More About Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal cancer risk factors include exposure to chemicals or other substances, as well as certain behaviors. Causes for this type of cancer also include aspects that cannot be controlled, like age and family history.