The diagnosis of HIV & AIDS can be one of the most difficult things a patient can hear. At Banner Health, we are with you every step of the way through not only treatment, but support and education as well.
AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which kills or impairs cells of the immune system and continues to destroy the body's ability to fight infections and certain cancers. HIV is most commonly spread by sexual contact with an infected partner.
How is HIV/AIDS Spread?
- Sexual contact
- Blood contamination
- Mother-infant - HIV can be spread to babies born to, or breastfed by, mothers infected with the virus.
HIV/AIDS cannot be spread through:
- Casual contact, such as sharing food utensils, towels and bedding
- Swimming pools
- Toilet seats
- Biting insects (such as mosquitoes)
HIV & AIDS Treatment Near You
1501 N Campbell Ave
Tucson, AZ 85724
Peterson HIV Clinic
If you are at risk for or have been diagnosed with HIV or AIDS, the Petersen HIV Clinic at Banner – University Medical Center Tucson can help. We provide specialty care using advanced medical technology and treatments. With the support of the Ryan White Program, all eligible HIV-positive patients can receive primary care at reduced or no cost.
If you are interested in clinical services offered by the Petersen HIV Clinic, please call (520) 694-8888.
As a patient in the clinic, you receive confidential, regular care from a coordinated team of infectious disease specialists.
The clinic offers the following services to the Southern Arizona community:
- Advocacy-related activities
- Counseling services for patients and their loved ones
- Early intervention including targeted, routine diagnostic testing, counseling and education for those at high risk of contracting HIV, including HIV-negative partners of HIV-infected patients
- Medical case management and clinical care coordination
- Medical management of HIV/AIDS including antiretroviral therapies, ongoing primary care and infectious disease specialty care
- Mental health
- Resource referrals including mental health services, substance abuse services, dental and oral care, and other supportive services
- Treatment adherence administered by clinical pharmacist