Massage therapy helps integrate the mind, body, emotions and spirit through a calming and caring touch. It is used to increase blood flow, relax muscles, relieve stress and revitalize the body. The ancient healing science of massage suggests that improved circulation and relaxation lead to better health and well-being.
At Banner Health, we recognize the benefits of combining traditional therapy with the use of integrative treatments such as massage to enhance patient care.
What Are the Benefits of Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy can help to relieve many aches and pains caused by physical activity, injury or illness or just daily life. It can also help to reduce stress, tension, pain, nausea and anxiety, resulting in improved functions such as sleep patterns, respiration, circulation and digestion.
What Massage Techniques Are Used in Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy may be done using a wide range of techniques. Some of the common types include:
- Swedish Relaxation - Soothes the nervous system and stimulates natural endorphins
- Body Insight/ Deep Tissue Manipulation/Neuromuscular Techniques - Releases long-held patterns of tension, corrects posture and promotes healing of injuries and overused muscles
- Sports Massage - Prepares athletes for events, promotes quicker injury recovery, and maintains peak performance
- Trigger Point Therapy - Focuses on specific areas of tension and pain
- Prenatal Massage - Helps ease discomforts of pregnancy and prepare for labor and delivery
- Reflexology - A foot massage supporting the reflex areas of organs in your body