From broken bones to sports injuries to complex muscular or skeletal problems, our pediatric orthopedic specialists are dedicated to providing compassionate and comprehensive care. They will work with you to explain treatment options and help you understand what might be best for your child.
Orthopedic Specialty Care
We treat orthopedic conditions in children of all ages, from infants to young adults. Our staff has special expertise in pediatric orthopedic and spine disorders, including:
- Athletic and sports-related injuries
- Blount’s disease
- Congenital disorders
- Hip dysplasia
- Injuries including fractures, dislocations and overuse injuries
- Joint infections
- Klippel-Feil syndrome
- Limb deformity
- Marfan’s syndrome
- Metabolic bone disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Perthes disease
- Rib cage deformity
- Skeletal dysplasias
- Slipped capital femoral epiphyses
- Spina bifida
- Spine trauma and fractures
- Sprengel’s deformity
- Thoracic insufficiency syndrome
- Toe walking/in-toeing
Our pediatric orthopedic services cover diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures. Treatments include:
- Emergency care
- Orthopedic surgery
- Outpatient services such as fracture care
Learn more about orthopedic care at Banner Health.
A child’s brain grows quickly — and our specialists at Banner Children’s know how that brain ticks at every stage of its development.
Neurosciences Specialty Care
Our dedicated team of pediatric neurologists, neurosurgeons, psychiatrists, therapists, nurses and more treats neurological and psychiatric disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. Some of the neurological conditions we treat include:
- Brain and spine trauma
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental problems
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Head injury
- Infections affecting the brain
- Movement disorders
- Neurologic issues in premature and full-term infants
- Sleep problems
- Spina Bifida
Our pediatric specialty services include:
- Pediatric neurology
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Pediatric neuropsychology
Learn more about neurosciences at Banner Health.
Eating and drinking are essential functions of life. So, when children have a condition of the digestive system, it can affect their health in some big ways. Our digestive care specialists at Banner Children's work diligently to find the cause of your child’s digestive issues and build a personalized treatment plan to meet their needs.
Gastroenterology Specialty Care
We treat several gastrointestinal issues:
- Abdominal pain
- Acid-related conditions
- Chronic diarrhea
- Colitis and related conditions
- Feeding and swallowing problems
- Food allergies
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Liver diseases
- Poor weight gain and growth
Learn more about gastroenterology at Banner Health.
Diseases of the ear, nose, throat, head and neck — in children and adolescents, these can be as common as ear infections or as rare as airway abnormalities. Whatever the issue, you want the right care, so it’s reassuring to know that our Banner Children’s specialists offer a full range of medical and surgical care options
Otolaryngology Specialty Care
We have experience with all types of disorders, from common to complex, such as:
- Anterior and lateral skull-base surgery
- Cancers of the nose, sinuses and skull base (oncology)
- Cancers of the face, throat, neck and ears (oncology)
- Hearing and balance disorders
- Sinonasal and skull-base tumors
- Sinus and allergy disorders
- Sleep apnea
- Smell and taste dysfunction
- Speech disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Voice, airway and swallowing disorders
Our Banner Children’s specialists offer a variety of eye care services for children. We evaluate, treat and manage visual problems and ophthalmic diseases.
Ophthalmology Specialty Care
Our ophthalmology and optometry staff has special expertise in:
- Accommodative and convergence insufficiency
- Blocked tear ducts
- Cornea disease/trauma
- Crossed eye (strabismus)
- Education issues related to vision problems
- Eye infections
- Genetic conditions that affect vision
- Pediatric cataracts
- Pediatric glaucoma
- Retinopathy of prematurity (an eye disorder that primarily affects premature infants)
Our eye care services include:
- Evaluation and management of visual problems that can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses
- Eye surgery for general and complex eye problems
- Inpatient and outpatient evaluation of premature infants
Our Banner Children’s specialists provide a full range of audiology services for children of all ages, including children with:
- CMV (cytomegalovirus)
- Craniofacial anomalies
- Developmental delays
- Family history of hearing loss
- Neurological disorders
- Ototoxicity monitoring
- Syndromes associated with hearing loss
- Traumatic brain injury
Audiology Specialty Care
Our staff works to ensure patients and families receive family-centered care in a kid-friendly environment. Procedures available include:
- Assistive listening device dispensing
- Behavioral hearing testing for all ages
- Central auditory processing evaluations
- Custom ear molds, swim molds and noise plugs
- Hearing aid testing, dispensing and repair
- Immitance testing
- Non-sedated and sedated auditory brainstem response testing (ABR)
- Otoacoustic emission testing (OAE)
It’s only natural to feel frightened or overwhelmed if you learn your child has a heart problem. At Banner Health, we work closely with you and your primary care physician to answer your questions and take away your anxiety.
Cardiology Specialty Care
Our pediatric heart care team diagnoses and treats all kinds of heart problems in newborns, infants, children and young adults, such as:
- Abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Aortic stenosis
- Atrial septal defect
- Atrioventricular septal defect (AVSD or AV Canal)
- Bacterial endocarditis
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Double outlet right ventricle
- Ebstein anomaly
- Heterotaxy syndromes (polysplenia and asplenia)
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Hypoplastic right heart syndrome
- Interrupted aortic arch
- Kawasaki disease
- Marfan syndrome
- Mitral stenosis
- Mitral insufficiency or mitral regurgitation
- Partial anomalous pulmonary venous return
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Pulmonary atresia
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Rheumatic heart disease
- Single ventricle
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous return
- Transposition of the great arteries
- Tricuspid atresia
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect
The dedicated, compassionate team is made up of pediatric cardiologists and surgeons, along with specialized pediatric nurses and respiratory therapists. Our services include:
- Cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Fetal Cardiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Advanced Cardiac Imaging
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care
- Neonatal Intensive Care
Learn more about heart care at Banner Health.
Infectious diseases can result when organisms like bacteria, viruses, parasites or fungi get in the body. Often these illnesses pass from person to person.
Infectious Disease Specialty Care
At Banner Children’s, we care for children who have a wide range of illnesses, especially those that develop when a child’s natural defenses don’t work properly. Our areas of infectious disease expertise cover:
- Antimicrobial-resistant infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Central nervous system infections
- Coccidioidomycosis and other fungal infections
- Conditions producing diagnostic dilemmas, such as fever of unknown origin, periodic fevers, severe or recurrent infections
- HIV or AIDS
- Opportunistic infections in immunosuppressed children
- Pneumonia and complicated respiratory infections
- Zoonoses (animal-transmitted diseases)
Whether you need to find out the cause of infections that keep coming back or treat an already-diagnosed condition, turn to our pediatric experts at Banner Children’s.
It’s common for children to have problems with the urinary tract, which is the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra. These problems can be minor to serious. In some cases, a pediatrician or primary care provider can treat them. However, sometimes your child may need a specialist in the urinary system (a urologist) or kidneys (a nephrologist).
Nephrology & Urology Specialty Care
Our staff has special expertise in treating urinary tract problems in children, including:
- Abnormalities in the urine such as blood and protein
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Bladder Exstrophy
- Cancer of the urinary and genital systems
- Congenital kidney disorders
- High blood pressure
- Inherited kidney diseases
- Kidney stones
- Neurogenic bladder/bowel
- Problems with growth and development related to kidney disease
- Renal insufficiency
- Torsion of the testicle
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
Learn more about kidney care at Banner Health.
From birth defects to trauma and burns, there are many pediatric conditions that can require plastic surgery. When you choose Banner Children’s, you know your child is in good hands. Our dedicated pediatric plastic surgeons provide excellent care to kids of all ages, from newborns to adolescents.
Plastic & Craniofacial Surgery Care
Our compassionate surgeons and staff can help with:
- Burns and burn reconstruction
- Cleft lip and palate
- Congenital deformities of the ear, hand, and breast
- Congenital tumors of the head and neck
- Craniofacial problems, including Treacher Collins syndrome, Apert syndrome, and Pierre Robin sequence
- Facial bone fractures and trauma
- Hand trauma
- Orbital problems
- Reconstructive procedures and cosmetic surgery, such as otoplasty and rhinoplasty.
- Vascular anomalies
Banner Children’s provides rehabilitation therapy for children and adolescents in inpatient and outpatient settings. Our goal is to help your child function as independently as possible in your home, at school and in the community.
Our rehabilitation services include:
- Audiology provides newborn hearing screenings, follow-up evaluations, diagnostic testing, hearing aid fitting and evaluation.
- Occupational Therapy – Helps children develop age-appropriate skills through play. Therapists address children's self-help skills, fine and gross motor skills, sensory processing skills and handwriting skills.
- Physical Therapy – Works with children who have developmental delays, range-of-motion limitation, strength/muscle weakness, balance difficulty and abnormal tone with the goal to promote functional gross motor skills.
- Sensory Integration Treatment – Helps children takes in sensory input (from vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell), organize this information in the brain and produce the right response.
- Speech Therapy – Helps children who have articulation, language, voice or stuttering disorders. Therapists focus on children's ability to be successful with all forms of communication including speaking, listening, reading, writing and cognitive development.
- Feeding and Swallowing Therapy – Helps to strengthen positive eating behaviors. Our specialists provide treatment for reflux, breast/bottle feeding difficulties, failure to thrive, food aversions and/or self-feeding difficulties.
Learn more about rehabilitation services at Banner Health.
If your child has rashes, acne, birthmarks or other skin-related issues, Banner Children’s can help. Our pediatric dermatologists specialize in common and complex skin conditions in infants, children and young adults.
Dermatology Specialty Care
We regularly see and treat these and other less-common conditions:
- Diaper rash
Whether your child is born with a skin condition requiring early intervention or over-the-counter treatments have not been successful, we offer a range of pediatric dermatology services, including:
- Oral medications
- Topical treatments
- Laser therapy
- Surgical removal
Learn more about dermatology at Banner Health.
Everyone recognizes the importance of a good night’s sleep. For children, it’s even more important since that’s when their body makes the cells he or she needs to grow and mature.
There are a few signs of sleep problems in children. One of the most common is the tendency to fall asleep at inappropriate times, such as during play time for toddlers or class time for adolescents. Some children with sleep issues may also have behavior problems such as impulsivity or over-activity and mood disturbances. Another sign may be that your child requires a nap during the day, as children older than 4 don’t usually need naps.
If you have concerns about your child’s sleep, Banner Children’s is here to help. Our experienced, dedicated sleep professionals can help diagnose and treat many sleep-related disorders, such as:
- Excessive sleepiness
- Movement disorders
- Sleep apnea
- Sleep/wake schedule problems
Learn more about sleep disorders.
Whether your child wants to make the team or be the next sports star, proper care for bones, growth plates, muscles and joints – all requiring specialized care for children – is vital. That’s why our Banner Children’s specialists are trained to treat a wide range of sports-related issues in children and adolescents.
Sports Medicine Specialty Care
Treatment options include:
- ACL reconstruction
- Ankle instability reconstruction
- Arthroscopic treatment of shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and ankle injuries
- Hip arthroscopy for management of labral tears and femoracetabular impingement
- Concussion Care [Link to the Banner Concussion Center Page ID 3.10]
- Meniscal repair
- Rotation cuff repair
- Shoulder labral repair
Some of our locations also offer injury prevention programs to keep kids from getting injured in the first place. These programs feature:
- Motion analysis to review and improve skill
- Close cooperation with coaches from area middle and high schools on conditioning, injury prevention and injury treatment
- Sharing expertise with local athletes to keep them on the field and in the game, free of injuries
Learn more about sports medicine.