Banner Sun Health Research Institute is committed to addressing the need for more effective, better tolerated, treatments for memory and movement disorders. Healthy individuals, or those with only mild cognitive impairment, may be eligible to contribute to ground breaking research aimed at preventing these diseases entirely.
These research studies:
- Help to advance medicine and medical care
- Evaluate the safety and efficacy of medications and other medical treatments for Parkinson's and Alzheimer’s
- Increase our understanding of the disease and its impact on quality of life
We have more than 25 studies with usually 10 open for enrollment at any time. We typically offer several different kinds of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s studies, including those that evaluate:
- Medications that may enhance memory and thinking ability
- Medications that may delay worsening of the disease
- Immunotherapies such as vaccines in delaying the progression of disease
- Medications specifically designed to help people with severe Alzheimer’s dementia and Parkinson's Disease
- The long term course of people with very early signs of memory loss but no loss of ability to function on a daily basis
- New brain-imaging techniques
- New techniques for early diagnosis
- Quality of life issues for the patient and their families
- New approaches to serve our minority populations including Latinos and Native Americans
What’s In It for Me or My Family?
- Access to investigational treatments before they become widely available
- Play a vital role in the discovery of treatments, cures and prevention
- Play a more active role in your own health care
- Access to free physical examinations and diagnostic tests associated with the study
- Access to social support programs
- Most research projects offer monetary compensation for time and travel
- Opportunity to make a contribution to the science
What Would Be Required From Me and or My Family?
Every study has unique requirements developed specifically for what it is trying to measure. Some common requirements include:
- Signing consent forms for a specific study
- Being able to come for one or many visits to the Banner Sun Health Research Institute
- Physical examination and/or laboratory studies
- Head imaging such as MRI, CT or PET imaging
- Memory and thinking tests
- Studies usually require participation of a study partner
Learn More About Clinical Trials
A clinical trial is used to evaluate a new drug or treatment. Carefully conducted clinical trials are the fastest and safest way to find treatments and to improve people’s health. Patient participation in clinical trials will continue to lead to new and better treatments for disease.
If you are interested participating in one of the many clinical trials at Banner Health, please complete the form.
Before a new treatment is tested with patients, it is carefully studied for several years in laboratories and checked for safety. Once the treatment meets these standards, it still has to be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before patients can use it in a clinical trial. In addition, all ongoing clinical trials are monitored by the FDA.