In order to be considered for weight loss surgery, you must be seriously overweight, or "morbidly obese." However, your weight alone doesn’t qualify you for surgery. If you meet the following guidelines, our weight loss experts can help.
Morbid Obesity Guidelines
Certain medical guidelines are used to determine if you are morbidly obese:
- More than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight
- Body mass index (BMI) of more than 40
- BMI of more than 35 plus at least one serious health condition related to your weight
- Inability to maintain a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even with medically supervised dieting
Use our BMI calculator and ideal weight chart to determine if you are a potential candidate for weight loss surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Information Sessions
Find out if surgical weight loss is the right choice for you by attending one of our free information sessions taught by our surgeons and staff members.
Our free information sessions are offered at:
Banner Estrella Weight Loss Center
- Banner Gateway Weight Loss Center
- Banner – University Medicine Metabolic and Bariatric Center