What Tests Do I Need to Make Sure My Bones Are Healthy?
Bone health is important all through your life. An active lifestyle and eating a healthy diet can go a long way to ensuring your bones are in tip-top shape, especially as you age.
Tests to measure your bone strength and predict your risk for bone fractures and osteoporosis help you to understand and plan to keep you bones as strong as possible. Banner Health provides a test called a DEXA (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan to test your bone density.
Do I Need Bone Density Testing?
That depends on several factors, including your age. Talk to your Banner Health provider about your need for bone density testing. In general, bone density tests are needed for:
- All postmenopausal women under age 65, with one or more risk factors in addition to menopause
- All women age 65 and older
- Postmenopausal women with fractures
- Women who are thinking about treatment for osteoporosis
- Women who have been on hormone therapy for a long time
Men or women with certain medical conditions or who are taking certain medications (such as glucocorticoids or prednisone) for a long period should also discuss the need for bone density tests with their doctor.