The Banner - University Medial Center Phoenix ACPE Residency program begins each year around the end of August or beginning of September and continues through August of the following year. The Residency program provides three units (1200 hours) of Level I and Level II CPE over 12 months. With only four positions available, the Residency program is highly competitive, rigorous, and demanding. It is designed for those who have clinical chaplaincy as a professional career path.
Our Residency program is different from other CPE programs we offer in three ways:
- The program prepares students to meet the requirements for Board Certification upon graduation.
- It exposes students to the full experience of being a full-time chaplain in a clinical setting.
- It is the only CPE program in the Banner Health System and the only CPE residency program in the greater Phoenix area. It offers a paid stipend with full employee benefits.
To apply for the Residency Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of at least one (1) previous Level I ACEP CPE unit,
- Hold a bachelor’s degree,
- Completion of or in process of completing a Master of Divinity, Master of Theology, or other equivalent degree from a seminary or graduate school that is accredited by a Department of Education authorized accrediting agency. Check to see if your institution is accredited.
- Active membership in a faith group,
- Ordination/endorsement or equivalency completed or in progress.
Dates and Deadlines
Applications are due each year on March 31. For instance, if you are applying for the fall start of 2024, you must submit your application by March 31, 2024.
Upcoming residency class dates:
- August 21, 2023–August 16, 2024
- August 19, 2024–August 17, 2025
- Class: Classes are held once per week from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
- Clinical: Students are expected to be in the hospital every weekday spending time in their assigned units providing spiritual care when not in class.
- On-Call Shifts: On-call coverage for trauma and hospital emergencies rotates and is negotiated every three months between students and attending chaplains. Rotations are in-house, 12-hour shifts: 8am-8pm and 8pm-8am. On-call spiritual care coverage is 24/7, 365 days per year. Work hours do not exceed 44 weekly including both educational and clinical hours
- Stipend: $33,800
- Banner Health Employee Benefits (includes medical, dental, 401(k) and paid time off)
- Monthly in-house meal credit