Burn injuries are serious business, but you can make a difference to someone who has suffered an injury. These tips are provided to help you.
For All Burn Injuries
- Scene safety for anyone trying to rescue or treat a victim
- STOP the burning process
- Call 911 for help and provide CPR if necessary
- Remove all jewelry, clothing and diapers
- Wrap in a warm blanket
Types of Burns
There are many types of burns: thermal, chemical, inhalation, electrical and frostbite.
- Thermal burns are caused by flame, steam, hot liquids or a hot surface.
- Chemical burns may be caused by acids or bases often found in household cleaning agents.
- Inhalation burns are caused by super heated air or smoke and products of combustion.
- Electrical burns are often caused by bad electrical plugs, faulty electrical wiring and lightning.
- Frostbite burns are caused by freezing of tissues by environmental exposure.