Pediatric Emergency Care
Kids have special needs when it comes to emergency care. Banner Health experts are here to ensure your child gets the care they need, when they need it.
We know in an emergency, your child has special needs and is not just a miniature adult. Our health care providers, nurses and support staff are prepared to treat your child for everything from minor emergencies such as fevers, cuts and sprains to life-threatening injuries.
The Arizona Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AzAAP) has certified 10 Banner Children's locations through its Pediatric-Prepared Emergency Care, a voluntary program recognizing hospitals that have demonstrated their ability to stabilize and/or manage pediatric medical emergencies.
Sometimes it’s obvious that your child is having a medical emergency, but other times it’s not so clear. A pediatric emergency department can handle a wide variety of problems, from a high fever to severe bleeding or head injury.
Go to the Emergency department if your child is experiencing:
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe drowsiness, difficulty waking, confusion
- Bleeding that won’t stop
- Stiff neck with fever and headache
- Severe headache
- Abdominal pain that makes it hard to walk or change positions, is steadily worsening, and when accompanied by trouble breathing or not acting right (i.e. listless or lethargic)
- Vomiting that will not stop or is associated with abdominal pain
- Serious head trauma or injury
- Broken bones
- Symptoms of appendicitis (pain in the lower right part of the abdomen)
- Any laceration involving the face or caused by a dog bite
- Any problem involving children with complex chronic disease
- Suspected poisoning or drug overdose.
In an emergency, kids need the right care fast. That’s why our pediatric-prepared emergency rooms (ERs) are set up specifically for the needs of children.
Three Banner Children's ERs have achieved "Prepared Advanced Care," the highest certification awarded by AzAAP:
With pediatric emergency physicians and experts covering more than 30 pediatric specialties, these facilities are ready for just about anything.
Banner Children's also operates seven "Pediatric Prepared" ERs:
What Do I Do if My Child Is Having a Medical Emergency?
If you are living with kids, you know that anything can happen – anytime, anywhere. That’s why Banner Health is nearby to help you manage any unforeseen medical needs your family may face.
There are few things more stressful than taking your child to the emergency room. Banner Health's pediatric-prepared ERs provide 24/7 specialized emergency medical treatment for children.