2800 E Ajo way
Tucson, AZ 85713
Tucson volunteers provide integral support to Banner’s mission of “making health care easier so that life can be better,” and are dedicated to maintaining a high standard of excellence, while maintaining Banner’s values and purpose.
Through generous gifts of time and talents, our volunteers make health care easier through direct assistance to our patients and their families, and by enabling our staff to provide high-quality health care in a reasonable time-frame.
Requirements to Become a Volunteer
- A time commitment of at least 2 hours each week for a minimum of 3 months.
- Be 16* years of age or older.
- Be able to provide current up-to-date immunization records, a negative TB test (within the past 12 months), MMR, Varicella and Influenza vaccination (seasonal).
- Attend an interview. You will be asked to provide your up-to-date immunization records at the time of your interview.
- Ability to pass a background check
** 15 – 18 years of age for participants of our Summer Teens Teaming Up Program offered June – July.
Immunization Requirement Details
TB Test - Banner requires a negative read on the TB skin test or blood test (done within the past 12 months). Because Banner University Medical Center operates a trauma center, Banner is required to follow a 2-step process. A second TB test will be administered during the on-boarding process, and a TB test is required on an annual basis thereafter.
MMR Vaccinations - Banner requires evidence of MMR immunity for all volunteers. Immunity is obtained from either having had the diseases or receiving 2 doses of the MMR vaccine during your lifetime. (MMR immunity is not required if you were born before 1957). Either documentation of 2 MMR vaccines, or a positive MMR blood titer will satisfy Banner’s one-time requirement for proof of immunization.
Varicella Chickenpox Vaccinations - Banner requires evidence of Varicella immunity for all volunteers. Immunity is obtained from either having had the disease or receiving vaccinations. Either documentation of 2 Varicella vaccines, a positive Varicella blood titer, or proof of 2 Varivax vaccines will satisfy Banner’s one-time requirement for proof of immunization. Historical proof of Varicella immunity may be provided by your physician through a formally-written and signed letter on your physician’s official letterhead.
Influenza Vaccination - The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) determine the official timeframes of flu season each year – typically October through April. Each year, Banner requires seasonal documentation of flu vaccination for all volunteers.
How to Begin
The registration process for new volunteers is currently closed, as we prepare for the opening of the new main hospital during the Spring of 2019. Please check our web page during May 2019 for exciting new opportunities to open.
To start the process during May 2019, please follow these steps:
- Register online or call (602) 230-CARE to choose one of the upcoming group interview sessions listed. (If dates are not listed, all interview sessions are full. Please revisit our website frequently for updated group interview schedules).
- Gather your up-to-date immunization records and bring them with you to your interview. If you are unable to obtain complete records, please reschedule your interview for a later date.
- Group interviews are held at the Banner – University Medical Center Tucson campus. *Room location for each interview will be indicated upon sign-up.
There are additional volunteer opportunities available at our clinics throughout Tucson. Please feel free to call us at (520) 694-6703 or email us at BUMCVolunteer@Bannerhealth.com if you have any questions.
Volunteer Information Center access
Learn more about our Specialty Programs
View our Frequently Asked Questions