Choose foods lower in total fat and saturated fat
- Goal = less than 30 percent of your calories from total fat or about 40-67 g. a day. If you are eating three meals a day, keep your total fat grams to less than 13-22 a meal.
- Goal = less than 7 percent of your calories from saturated fat or about 9-16 g. a day. If you are eating three meals a day, keep your total saturated fat grams to less than 3-5 a meal.
Limit the amount of cholesterol in your diet.
- Goal = less than 200 mg. a day.
Avoid salt and high sodium foods.
- Goal = less than 2000 mg. a day.
Eat more fiber.
Gain the benefits of losing weight.
- Even five pounds can make a difference in your health.
- Losing weight lowers blood cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels.
- Losing weight will give you more energy and make you feel better.
Looking for some healthy recipes? Visit our A-Z Health Library for a great variety.