Regarded and recognized as a top health system in the country for the clinical quality consistently provided to patients in our hospitals, nonprofit Banner Health is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and operates 30 hospitals, including three academic medical centers and other related health entities and services in six states.
In just 20 years, our patients, employees and larger communities have worked together to change lives. Learn more from our anniversary report.
We have rapidly evolved from a health system of hospitals to a fully integrated system that includes significantly expanded services through Banner Health Network, Banner Medical Group and, in 2015, with Banner – University Medicine.
With more than 1 million members currently served by the Banner Health's provider networks, Banner has demonstrated the ability to effectively manage the health and wellness of populations of insured members in both government and private plans.
Through Banner Medical Group, Banner has also expanded convenient access to quality care by placing health centers and clinics throughout the communities we serve.
Banner – University Medicine is the new academic medicine division of Banner Health, anchored in Phoenix and Tucson. This division includes three academic medical centers:
- Banner – University Medical Center Tucson
- Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix
- Banner – University Medical Center South
By the Numbers:
- One of the largest nonprofit hospital systems in the country.
- 30 acute-care hospitals and a number of other health care entities.
- With more than 50,000 employees, Banner Health is the largest private employer in Arizona and third largest employer in the Northern Colorado front range area.
- We offer comprehensive services, physician services, hospice and home care.
- Our research is internationally recognized.
- We offer specialized services such as those at:
- Banner Alzheimer's Institute
- Banner Concussion Center
- Banner Heart Hospital
- Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Banner Children's
- Western States Burn Center
- We operate in six states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada and Wyoming.
- We are headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. Our address is 2901 North Central Ave., Phoenix, Arizona 85012.
- Named a Top 5 Large Health System three out of five years by Truven Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters).
- Twenty-one of our hospitals are at the highest level of electronic medical records.
- At our 55-bed simulation medical center -- the largest "virtual hospital" of its kind -- our health care providers can enhance their skills and training.
- Banner Health is the first health care provider in Arizona and Colorado to use technology to monitor patients from hundreds of miles away using Banner Telehealth.
- Research in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease conducted by the Banner Alzheimer's Institute and the Banner Sun Health Research Institute has resulted in two grants of nearly $50 million to support BAI's innovative approach and leadership in the field of Alzheimer's disease prevention.
- We provide $73.4 million in charity care.
- Unpaid cost of public programs, Medicaid and other programs for those uninsured - $482 million
- Health professional education - $45 million
- Research activities - $11 million
- Total cost of the community benefit and the unpaid cost of Medicare - $711 million
Reviewed & updated February 2021