How to Use Your Fitness Tracker to Keep Your Heart Healthy

0-women-doing-yoga

We know the feeling — you bought a fitness tracker, hoping that it would motivate you to exercise more. It turns out you mainly use it to get the time or be alerted to a text or phone call. Don’t worry. There’s no time like now to make a change.

Here are five tips, from heart experts at Banner Health, to get the most from your fitness tracker and to optimize your health. You can do this!

1. Use your fitness tracker step count as a motivator

1-older-couple-walking-in-desert

You may not be able to control your age or genetics, but you can control how much you move each day.

Use your fitness tracker’s daily step count to challenge yourself to move more. While the American Heart Association recommends 10,000 steps per day, start with a goal that feels achievable to you. If this is all new for you, be sure to consult your physician to help you create a 10,000-step (or more) plan.

Quick Tip

Challenge yourself to increase your step count (even by just 100 steps) each day.

2. Pay attention to your exercise intensity

2-women-in-dance-class

Heart health isn’t just about how frequently you exercise — it’s also about the intensity of your physical activity. The American Heart Association suggests at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise, or a combination of the two. But how can you tell when you’re actually getting moderate or vigorous exercise? This is where a fitness tracker can help.

Choose a fitness tracker that shows when you’re in one of several different heart rate zones. Your tracker will have instructions on how to get the most out of this feature. As with anything fitness related, set personal, achievable goals around workout intensity.

Quick Tip

Not seeing the exercise intensity results you’d like? It could be that you’ve reached a plateau in your routine. Try a new activity, such as kickboxing or weight lifting.

3. Keep an eye on your resting heart rate

3-athletic-male-checking-fitness-tracker

Fitness trackers that record resting heart rate may also give you valuable data about your heart’s health even when you’re not moving. When you lead a physically active lifestyle, your heart muscle is typically in better overall condition, meaning it doesn’t have to work as hard or beat as fast each minute when your body is resting. Bottom line? A lower resting heart rate may be an indicator of good heart health.

Quick Tip

As you increase your physical activity, keep an eye on how this affects your resting heart rate over time. You might be surprised at the change from one month to the next.

4. Understand your heart rate variability

4-mountain-biker-on-desert-terrain

Heart rate variability (HRV) refers to the change in the time intervals between heartbeats. This is about the small fluctuations of the heartbeat, which may be affected by a range of factors including your age and how hard you've been exercising.

Overall, higher HRV indicates good health, whereas lower HRV correlates to fatigue and a slow recovery. If your fitness tracker is showing a high HRV score, you may be able to handle a more intense workout. On the other hand, if you see a negative trend in your HRV score, it might be a good time to take it slow and give your body a rest.

Quick tip

If you’re consistently seeing a low HRV score, check with your doctor so he or she can advise you on your overall health and rule out any problems.

5. Become a pro at managing stress

5-elderly-practicing-yoga-in-class

Stress is a part of life, but it can affect your heart health, too, if you are not managing it well. Although more research is needed to understand exactly how stress contributes to heart disease, we do know that certain behaviors, such as eating junk food, smoking cigarettes or over-drinking to cope with stress, can increase heart disease risk.

Several fitness trackers focus on mindfulness, along with fitness, to help you understand what triggers your stress levels and help you break bad habits for coping. Once you have the data to understand when and why you get stressed, you can anticipate stress ahead of time and let off some steam in positive, heart-healthy ways, such as exercising, meditating and maintaining a positive attitude. At the end of the day, your heart (and your loved ones) will thank you.

While the tips above are excellent for heart health, you’ll be happy to know that they are likely to improve your overall health, too. When you combine more movement with a healthy eating program, it may help you control diabetes, help you better manage your weight and potentially even have a more positive outlook on life.

Tags from the story
Written By
More from Banner Health

Sleep to succeed

Most parents have experienced it—the dreaded bedtime battle. As soon as donning…

11 Comments

• RAQUEL BARANOW says:
    I use AppleWatch, which has heart rate variability, would like to know more about it. The app says it measures SDNN but should the reading be at rest? Mine goes very low in the evening (15ms) and peaks at 3:00am if I get a good night rest.
  • Jim W. says:
    What brand of “Fitness Tracker” do you recommend? I workout 1 hr, 5 days/wk (run/walk, bike,weights). As a “heart patient”, am I doing enough?    Jim W.
  • Mike says:
    I want a HRV monitor. Where can I get one thart I can track my heart rate 24/7? How fancy aree they? Will any take your BP? Can you down load to the computer and track it over  aweek, month, 6 months and a yrear?
  • Virginia Kitagawa says:
    I have s Fitbit tracker that uses apps, some I have I to pay for some are free but the they track my purse, heart rate resting and HRV. It also tracks my steps, how much I drink water per day and how much calories I eat per day. I wish Banner would would have a apps to summarize this data for there  patients to provide there Doctor in suppor of whatever there illness is. Also to take this one step more, tie this app into other Banner apps like Banner daily diets; Banner daily walks; Banner daily  diabetes  Apps. And so on.
  • Kate says:
    I would love to get a tracker to monitor me. I am 73 years old with several health issues. I walk with walker and oxygen. I keep moving ALL the time. I am too antsy until the middle of the day when I collapse.  I am tired but I do know I put some miles a day. Problem is I don’t want to have to be a brain surgeon to figure this tracjer. Can you should one you put on and forget and it tracks your steps. Thank you
  • Barbara says:
    It would be nice to have some examples of fitness trackers, sources, prices, etc.
  • Minaxi says:
    Thanks it is very impotant to  manage our day to stress in life take evey moment of life positively!!
  • Sheila Renee Runke says:
    Where is it I look for one of these fitness trackers?
  • How not to Die book says:
    Your brain is most lively during dreaming while you are asleep, not while you are awake.

Many scientists don't imagine dreaming serves any real objective, while others feel that we are reorganizing our cluttered
    minds throughout our dreams. It is believed that the mom is drained not as a result of their bodies are supporting two
    beings, but as a result of the rate of the child's
    development, particularly its mind, is extremely
    consuming to the mom's body on account of all the
    synapses developing. Aristotle believed that the center is the
    place our ideas come from. There is even proof by Plato's educating in 387 BC that he taught
    others that our mind was the place our thoughts came from.

Your mind continues to develop until you might be roughly
    18, then round age 30, your brain will truly begin to shrink over time.
    Do you know that your mind can go from 4 to six minutes with out oxygen before brain cells will
    really begin dying?
  • nutritional facts mug says:
    CA
  • Leicestershire says:
    Yes, there might be limits to how a lot rise you can get out of it, because the gluten-like proteins will not be the same as
    in trendy wheat. Moon Daisy - yes, it does yield a very nicely nutty-flavored loaf,
    which is kind of a bit more nutritious than regular wheat flour loaves.
    Because the dough tends to be a bit gummier than most,
    you might consider "helping" the bread machine by pushing all of the flour and dough in the direction of the paddle till it
    does wad up into a big dough ball. Note the the dough can be a bit stickier than regular bread dough.
    I had read that einkorn bread was laborious to work with, and yielded a bread that was heavy, and bitter, astringent, or oddly bitter.
    I'm honored you dropped by, considering I learn by your site and watched a
    few videos where you talked about einkorn and different ancient wheat varieties.
    I am going to perform a little analysis and find a source
    for einkorn flour here in Canada (I have not seen it within the supermarket or health meals store in New Brunswick.) Voted up,
    useful and shared.